Allergy clinicBook Appointment
Allergy clinic is a service at ENT360 dedicated to treating upper respiratory tract symptoms of allergy. Our body is exposed to thousands of substances everyday in the form of food, drink, air we breath, items that we touch. An abnormal immune reaction to any of these substances can cause allergies. Allergies are quite common, however, they may not always be known. It frequently affects both children and adults. Some allergies affect children but get better in adulthood. Some adults can start to show symptoms to a substance which they tolerated well before.
What are the common allergies?
In our allergy clinic we have noted allergies to the following frequently:
- Dust mites
- Food items such as – nuts, shellfish, eggs, cow’s milk and some fruits
- Insect bites and stings
- Medicines such as – Penicillin, Ibuprofen, antibiotics, Aspirin etc.
- Latex – used for gloves
These items would otherwise be harmless to other people.
What are the symptoms?
Presenting symptoms can include:
- Recurrent sneezing
- Runny nose
- Redness, watering and itching of the eyes
- Wheezing or coughing
- Skin rash
Severe life-threatening form of allergy is called anaphylactic shock.
The tests performed for allergy testing:
- Skin prick testing
- Blood tests
- Patch tests
- Elimination diet
- Challenge test
- Commercial Allergy testing kits
Management of allergies
Two principal methods of management of allergy are advised, these are:
- Avoidance of allergen exposure: This method can be successful for food, drug and animal dander allergies wherein it’s possible to avoid allergens.
- Drugs for suppressing immune reaction to an allergen: These include:
- Nasal decongestants
- Lotions and creams
A third method of treatment is Immunotherapy. It is successful in a select group of patients where the above two methods may fail. This method involves desensitisation of the individual by giving a very small dose of allergen occasionally over a long duration of time. It carries a risk of severe reaction to the allergen.
To book an appointment for allergies click here.